Disable Firewall on Install?

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Hello,

You have:
contents of runme.bat
Turns off the windows firewall
netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off
I was wondering why what was. If the suite is running locally and you ran into connection issues, why not create a custom loopback rule allowing all traffic from the host to the host?

I know the firewall stuff can be tricky, but this can't be the best way to handle it.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Mostly because most companies and people have hardware firewalls and the software firewall is redundant and hard to configure via the core console, you can read about how to do this via powershell at http://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj554906(v=wps.630).aspx

Also Some third party apps access via WMI and the default settings for the windows firewall block WMI .

Good luck
Feb 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I figured as much. I already have WMI configured properly in the firewall, so I think I'll just remove the line from the install script and see how it works.

As a point of interest, the HVRemote scripts do a great job configuring the firewall for almost every configuration imaginable. It's been updated recently to work with Hyper-V Server 2012 / R2. http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Hyper-V-Remote-Management-26d127c6

It's an essential component to my deployment of new Hyper-V Servers due to the fact that it configures a lot of those little things for me. I wouldn't care about the firewall in a lab environment, but I do care in this one.

Finally, and a bit off topic, I was looking at your option here because of it's integration into Corefig, but I see that much of what you've done is also in ProHVM. What do you recommend? I didn't see any integration into Corefig, probably because it's a very capable stand alone tool. I may just try both. I've thought about creating a PS Configuration that runs on startup and presents the options for sconfig, Corefig with PSHVM30 (or, maybe each independently), and ProHVM, where the user (me) could use a number to select the management suite desired, it would just be nice to have everything in one place.

At any rate, thank you so much for your hard work on these projects. They really are amazing, and you're contribution to the Hyper-V community is huge. Wonderful job.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Good to know, and yes ProHVM is a much better product and I use it as well, but when I wrote PSHVM it was not really all there yet. I worked with the developer and got him on track and he added tons of features, he is even working on a better version... I only integrated with corefig because it was already written and I did not want to re-invent the wheel.